Thursday, December 26, 2013

The BIG project

First off, I have a few goals for the new year. I hate to call them "resolutions" because that isn't really what they are. I'm resolving to attain some goals. So what I'm really doing is setting goals. Last year I made a list "13 in 2013." I basically set them and then forgot about them. When the end of the year started to loom ahead I started feeling guilty about all of the goals I hadn't reached but when I sat down and actually took the time to analyse what I had accomplished I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Last year's 13 in 2013 were as follows:

1. Lose 50lbs -- This was the big one and I knew it was a big one. I knew I would have to work hard at it. I gave it a few earnest tries but, in the end, I'm bigger and heavier than I was when 2013 began...which is disheartening but I'm trying not to be disappointed. We lead very busy lives and I accomplished A LOT in 2013. Many things that weren't even on the list!

2. Buy new cowboy boots -- I'm not sure what it counts for but I did go in and try some on, only to find out that my calves were too big for everything. I got discouraged and didn't bother going back or looking further.

3. Log 750 walking or running miles -- I'm sure I put on a good 100 but nowhere near close to goal.

4. Go on one trail ride -- ACCOMPLISHED!!! I went on two, in fact! I am very proud of myself and I would like to continue to ride and get better on the horse.

5. Paint inside of house -- Mostly ACCOMPLISHED. We painted A LOT of the inside of our house including the family room, living room, dining room, kitchen and part of the hallway. One of these days we'll finish the hallway and paint the bathroom, bedrooms (x3) and bathroom. Someday.

6. Fold laundry promptly. -- Mt Laundry was a disaster almost all year but, somehow, on a sick day before Christmas I got a bee in my bonnet and got organized. Since then, even with hosting Christmas and all of the things that go along with the holidays (wrapping paper, new things, clutter...) the house has stayed clean and I've stayed on top of the laundry pile. Let's hope this continues. It doesn't exactly count for accomplishing this goal but at least I will leave 2013 will a clean bill of...err...laundry.

7. Revamp work budget. -- ACCOMPLISHED!!! 

8. Refinance house -- ACCOMPLISHED!!! This ended up being a bigger mountain to climb than it sounds like. It included getting permits retroactively up to code and jumping through a lot of hoops but it is done and we are SO HAPPY.
 
9. Go on at least one vacation that lasts more than two nights. -- Didn't happen. We tried a couple of times but between Tom's job and my job it was difficult to find time.

10. Go camping at least once. -- ACCOMPLISHED!!!

11. Take some time off this summer to make soap. -- Nope. I thought about doing it a lot but got bogged down by work and getting a puppy.

12. Talk Tom into taking dance lessons. -- Actually we did do some online tutorials but it didn't last very long. It was fun. I'd like to get back into it.

13. Expand the garden. -- I tried but got distracted. Work was hard last summer.

Even though 5 out of 13 doesn't seem all that great, I do feel proud of our accomplishments and I'm looking forward to what 2014 will bring. My 14 goals for next year are...

1. Lose 50lbs
2. Run a half marathon
3. Go on a real vacation that lasts longer than two nights
4. Finish dental work and keep teeth healthy for the entire year (and beyond)
5. Look into braces and see if they are an option (financially and realistically)
6. Put at least $8k into our general savings account
7. Find a healthy place at work
8. Take at least 2 months worth of saxophone lessons, consider joining a band
9. Hire a house cleaner to do a least two deep cleans of the house
10. Finish painting the house
11. Run or walk with Belle 3x per week
12. Buy new (or used) furniture for and rearrange the guest room
13. Clean up yard and get grass looking nice again
14. Get Josie enrolled in swim lessons and one sport

I'm calling 14 in 2014 the BIG project because I really want to focus on me. Especially the weight loss and dental health part.

No comments:

Post a Comment